Written by Steve Cannon for USSA News.
Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, obviously, but the government dropped the ball on this one. Knee-jerk reactions are never the right answer, and that’s just what the government did with the Covid-19 pandemic. That said, why doesn’t anyone seem to learn from history anymore?
Here’s what the government did
- Basically closed the country and took as much power as they could with the pandemic being a convenient excuse.
- Rushed a bailout bill that cost the taxpayers $2.5 trillion, while the democrats sneaked in disgusting handouts for their friends during a time of national crisis.
- Were unprepared to care for the sick.
These three failures can easily destroy the entire country, and it just might. Thank you, government.
What the government should have done
Very little. The government is instituted among men to secure our freedoms. That’s it. They’re not there to micromanage our lives, our businesses, and care for the sick. Let’s look at what the government should have done:
- Secure the borders to mitigate the spread of the virus. This should have been a reality since 1776.
- Learn who is most vulnerable to this virus and inform the public. Suggest the vulnerable (aged 60 and older and those with other health conditions) self-quarantine. Do not mandate this.
- Inform the public. Explain that the virus is very contagious and that it would be prudent to be cautious. Explain that in a small percentage of the population, it can be deadly. People and businesses can decide if they want to continue their normal routines, or adjust them as they see fit. People should be informed enough to make an informed decision. For example, a local bakery may have someone stand at the bakery entrance with a scanning thermometer and take everyone’s temperature before they’re allowed to enter. Wearing latex gloves and using Lysol frequently may also be employed. Or the baker may just shut down for a week to play it safe. Other businesses may afford its employees the opportunity to work from home.
The point is, rather than panic the public and overreact, the government could have simply informed the public about the realities of this pandemic and let people and businesses decide for themselves what is best for them.
Every person and every business is different and unique. There is no single government answer for an entire nation. By default, people do not want to get sick, or worse still, die. Additionally, businesses do not want to fail and will make adjustments as needed to keep their businesses up and running while keeping their employees and the general public safe.
Granted, this is not a perfect solution, but it is far better than having the government make decisions for every person and every business in the entire country. Decisions in this country were intended to be made locally. This is why we have town governments, city governments, state governments, and ultimately, the federal government. The people and officials closer to the problem have a better understanding of the problem, and thus have a better opportunity to solve the problem.
How many people will die from hunger or malnutrition because food is scarce due to a national shutdown? How many people will die because they couldn’t get the medicine or care they needed because of the national lockdown? How many people will die because a critical resource (a gun, for example) is unavailable because of the national quarantine? (Now that the democrats freed felons with this pandemic being the excuse, we need guns more than ever.) I fear more people will die because of this shutdown than the virus the government is “protecting” us from.
And what about the aftermath? How many thousands of businesses will be gone forever? How many people will be unemployed and go hungry and homeless because of this? Will people reopen businesses without any money? This national quarantine will destroy this country for eons, if not forever. All that will remain is a nation of poor people who beg for a living while a thin layer of wealthy people remain at the top, pitying us. You can bet the politicians who created this mess will be there at the top!
Enjoy your freedom while it lasts. It’s clear from reading all of the news reports that this pandemic is exactly the situation the government was waiting for so they could deny the people more of their liberties. Get your guns while you can and get them loaded. The fight for our freedom may soon be coming to a town near you.
Visit our Discussion Forum at Libertati.com. Follow us: