The long-awaited Penn Station renovation project will commence before the end of 2027, according to federal transportation officials who announced the accelerated timeline Wednesday.
US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy revealed the ambitious schedule during a press briefing, marking a significant shift from previous unclear timelines that offered only vague promises of completion within “four to five years.”
The federal government has assumed control of the massive infrastructure undertaking after President Trump removed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority from leadership of the project in April, per reports.
Duffy emphasized the administration’s commitment to rapid progress, stating they will “move at the speed of Trump” while implementing the comprehensive overhaul of the notorious transit facility.
The transportation secretary dismissed the lengthy timelines that have plagued similar projects in the past, declaring this initiative will not become another decades-long endeavor.
“This is not going to be a 20-, 30-year project. This is not about a backroom thinking about how we can spend money and develop plans that never deliver. This is actually about how do we move this more quickly and more beautifully through the process,” Duffy said.
Federal funding will accelerate the project through a $43 million grant allocated to Amtrak, which now holds responsibility for transforming the deteriorating transportation hub.
The grant represents a significant investment in modernizing what many consider one of the nation’s most problematic transit facilities, the New York Post reported.
Amtrak will oversee the comprehensive renovation of Penn Station, addressing both structural deficiencies and passenger experience improvements.
The federal takeover consolidates two separate Penn Station improvement initiatives under unified management.
One project focuses on reconstructing the existing deteriorating infrastructure, while the second aims to expand the station’s rail capacity to accommodate increased passenger volume.
This consolidation eliminates the coordination challenges that previously existed between multiple agencies and jurisdictions.
The Trump administration has appointed Andy Byford to spearhead the renovation effort, bringing considerable transit expertise to the project.
Byford previously served as president of NYC Transit, where he earned the nickname “Train Daddy” for his popular leadership style and operational improvements.
His appointment signals the administration’s commitment to bringing proven transit management experience to the Penn Station transformation.
During the announcement, Duffy suggested the possibility of renaming the facility to honor President Trump, though no definitive decision was made regarding this proposal.
The current Penn Station has long been criticized by commuters and officials alike for its cramped conditions, poor lighting and overall unpleasant atmosphere.
The facility serves hundreds of thousands of passengers daily, making its renovation a critical infrastructure priority for the region.
Years of planning and false starts under previous management had created skepticism about whether meaningful improvements would ever materialize.
WATCH:
Duffy made headlines late July after issuing a warning to Mexico, stating the U.S. may begin denying flight requests from the country.
This came after Mexico removed American cargo carriers from Mexico City and revoked flight slots previously held by U.S. airlines, Resist the Mainstream reported.
Duffy claimed Mexico violated a 2022 bilateral aviation agreement.
He said the country improperly stripped American carriers of their landing slots at Benito Juarez International Airport.
He also demanded that Mexico disclose all flight schedules to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The post NYC’s Penn Station Transformation Megaproject Will Begin by 2027 at the ‘Speed of Trump’ After Fed Takeover: Sean Duffy appeared first on Resist the Mainstream.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Jordyn M.
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://resistthemainstream.org and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.