A man suspected of murdering his wife and fleeing the U.S. has surrendered to authorities in Peru after an international manhunt.
On Wednesday, August 27, Peru’s national police announced that 36-year-old Jossimar Cabrera Cornejo turned himself in at the Interpol Lima headquarters. Cabrera, wanted in connection with the death of his 33-year-old wife, Sheylla Cabrera, was placed under preventive detention while U.S. officials work on extraditing him back to California.
The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department confirmed they were notified by the Peruvian Consulate that Cabrera, the prime suspect in Sheylla’s killing, is now in custody. Authorities say the extradition process could take months, but Cabrera will remain detained in Peru until then.
Sheylla’s body was discovered on August 16, tossed down an embankment in Angeles National Forest. Investigators allege she was killed on August 10 at the Lancaster apartment where the couple lived with their three children. Cabrera then reportedly fled to Peru with the children, who were later found safe and taken into protective custody.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has charged Cabrera with one count of murder and alleged he used a knife as the deadly weapon. If convicted, he faces 26 years to life in prison.
Disturbing details continue to emerge. Surveillance footage reportedly shows Cabrera dragging a large object from the family’s apartment complex shortly after Sheylla’s disappearance. Her mother, Helga Rocillo, revealed that Sheylla had been planning to file a criminal complaint against her husband, alleging psychological and physical abuse. Rocillo also accused Cabrera of hitting her youngest grandchild.
“She told me he mistreated her and even slapped my three-year-old grandchild,” Rocillo said, heartbroken.
Family members have accused Cabrera of giving conflicting explanations about Sheylla’s disappearance, including claiming at one point that immigration agents had taken her, then later saying she’d left him for another man, and finally insisting she’d been in an accident.
The investigation remains ongoing as officials coordinate Cabrera’s return to the U.S. to face trial.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: thedailycrime1
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://thedailycrime.org and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.