(Note: this report does not include the mass shooting and homicides at Annunciation Catholic Church and School on Wednesday morning. Read those details here and here.)
At least 11 people were shot in Minneapolis on Tuesday and overnight into Wednesday, including seven in a mass shooting that left one dead on the city’s south side.
Gunfire broke out just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, just north of East Lake Street on Clinton Avenue South. Dispatch audio from medical channels indicated that multiple injured parties were being located and that one party was deceased.
At a press briefing later in the afternoon, Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara confirmed that a total of seven people had been shot, including one who was dead at the scene. Six others were transported to HCMC, including five males and one female, three of whom had critical injuries. O’Hara said all six were expected to survive.
Chief O’Hara said the shooter used a .223 caliber rifle and opened fire on a group of people on the sidewalk across the street from Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, which had students present at the time. The chief indicated that the spot is known as a location where “people hang out.” The shootings were not believed to be random, and the chief said at least one person in the group was being targeted. The chief did not confirm that the deceased party may have been the targeted individual.
The chief said approximately 30 rounds were fired, but the gunfire was not believed to be automatic, despite an earlier bystander report of possible automatic gunfire heard in the area. Audio clips of the gunfire were later posted online, indicating rapid gunfire.
9/
Gunfire AUDIO from the Minneapolis mass shooting on Tuesday afternoon at 29th and Clinton Ave S.
Seven shot, including one dead.pic.twitter.com/ARc1aj9QSB— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) August 26, 2025
Chief O’Hara called the mass shooting a “deeply troubling act of violence” that is “sickening and unacceptable.”
The deceased party’s identity will be released later by the medical examiner.
In a later statement released by MPD, they said a man stepped out of a vehicle to fire the shots, and then fled the scene in the vehicle. The statement said that investigators are pursuing strong leads to identify the suspect. Neither the suspect nor the getaway vehicle were described by MPD.
Evening and overnight shootings
At least four more people were shot in two later evening and overnight shootings in Minneapolis. One of the later shootings occurred just after 8 p.m. on the 2700 block of 3rd Avenue South. CPR was reportedly being performed on the injured party. A second party with gunshot wounds showed up a short time later at Abbott Hospital. MPD later released a statement saying the two shootings were related, with one of the injured parties, a male in his 20s, dying from his injuries. The other injured party who showed up at Abbott Hospital sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound. No arrests had been made at the time.
Yet another person was injured in a shooting in north Minneapolis just before 9 p.m. near Barnes Place and Irving Avenue North. MPD confirmed in an email to Alpha News that the injuries sustained in the shooting were not life-threatening.
Another fatal shooting occurred just after 2 a.m. in downtown Minneapolis at 8th and Hennepin Avenue. In a statement released Wednesday morning, MPD confirmed that a male died from his injuries and that no arrests had been made at the time.
– – –
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.
The post Before Annunciation shooting, at least 11 were shot including 3 dead in 4 Minneapolis shootings Tuesday to Wednesday appeared first on Alpha News MN.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Crime Watch MN
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, http://alphanewsmn.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu. Follow Jonah on Twitter at @JTorgerud.