(Photo: Hugh Jackson/Nevada Current)
Officials described efforts to continue or resume state services during a briefing Wednesday afternoon, but declined to provide details about a ransomware cyber attack that has crippled much of the state’s information technology since Sunday, with one unpleasant exception:
The investigation “has found evidence that indicates some data has been exfiltrated, or moved outside of our state network, by the malicious actors,” said Tim Galluzi, the executive director of the Governor’s Technology Office.
“At this stage of our intensive investigation, we cannot yet identify or classify the specific nature of this data,” Galluzi said, adding “speculation on what data was affected before we have definitive proof would be irresponsible.”
The FBI is “continuing to collect intelligence,” said Nathaniel Holland, FBI assistant special agent in charge. Holland also urged anyone with tips to contact the FBI tip line.
Galluzi, Holland, and other state and federal officials repeatedly declined to answer multiple questions about the scope or type of data that had been extracted, the characteristics of the cyber attack, or the status or nature of the investigation into it.
Also unanswered at the briefing: why the governor wasn’t there.
Lombardo “is getting regularly, hourly updates from his staff,” said Ryan Cherry, his chief of staff. “He is engaged in providing direction on this. He was just unable to participate in this press conference,” Cherry said.
“And to be clear,” Cherry added, “his absence in this press conference is not indicative of any lack of engagement at all. That is not the case. We are making sure that he is up to speed and he is providing guidance to us on what he would like to see done in terms of addressing the customer-facing services that Nevadans so desperately need on a daily basis that are impacted by this event.”
Several state officials provided assurances regarding those services.
For instance, “DETR is up and running and serving Nevadans,” said Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation director Christopher Sewell. “Claims are being processed and clients are getting paid.”
The governor’s finance office assured state employees that they “will receive their scheduled pay this Friday, without disruption.”
The Nevada Health Authority provided a statement assuring Nevadans that “existing Medicaid coverage and provider payments remain operational and secure,” and neither access to care nor Nevada Health Link, the state’s health insurance marketplace, had been affected.
Officials said a website providing updates and information on the impacts of the attack and the status of state services is being created.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Hugh Jackson
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.nevadacurrent.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.