Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson on Saturday signed an executive order putting several measures in place should President Donald Trump send the National Guard or other federal troops to the city. Johnson said at a press conference that Chicago officials have received “credible reports” that it has “days, not weeks, before our cities see some type of militarized activity by the federal government.”
He added that it’s still “unclear” what this will look like.
“We may see militarized immigration enforcement. We may also see National Guard troops. We may even see active-duty military and armed vehicles in our streets. We have not called for this,” Johnson told reporters. “Our people have not asked for this. But nevertheless, we find ourselves having to respond to this.”
Federal control in cities
This comes after the federal takeover of the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, D.C., announced by Trump earlier in August, despite reported declining crime rates. Trump disputed these rates, and ordered a federal investigation into them. Chicago’s executive order also referenced data showing crime is going down, such as reduced homicides by more than 30% and robberies by 35%.
National Guard troops were sent to Los Angeles in June amid protests against United States Immigration Customs and Enforcement raids. Trump has implied Chicago could be another city that sees troops coming into the area.
“Chicago’s a mess,” Trump said earlier this week. “You have an incompetent mayor. Grossly incompetent. And we’ll straighten that one out probably next.”
Trump reiterated this in a Saturday Truth Social post criticizing Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker.
“JB Pritzker, the weak and pathetic Governor of Illinois, just said that he doesn’t need help in preventing CRIME,” Trump said. “He is CRAZY!!! He better straighten it out, FAST, or we’re coming!”
Pritzker previously rejected any military deployment plans in Chicago, and called a potential Chicago takeover “unprecedented, unwarranted” and “un-American” in a statement.
On Saturday, Johnson reiterated this idea, vowing to protect the Constitution and saying “we do not want to see tanks in our streets.”
“We do not want to see families ripped apart. We do not want grandmothers thrown into the back of unmarked vans. We don’t want to see homeless Chicagoans harassed or disappeared by federal agents,” Johnson said.
Reuters reported that White House spokesperson Abigail Jackson dismissed Johnson’s remarks in a statement.
“If these Democrats focused on fixing crime in their own cities instead of doing publicity stunts to criticize the President, their communities would be much safer,” she said.
What does the executive order say?
The order states that the Chicago Police Department will remain a locally controlled law enforcement agency. They will not assist with federal patrols, arrests or immigration enforcement.
It also says federal agents operating in Chicago should comply with CPD policies when it comes to masks, body cameras and officer identification. While the Chicago Police are directed to wear masks, federal agents are “urged” to refrain from donning them.
Part of what the order does is establish a “Protective Chicago”initiative to promote the “well-being and safeguard the rights of all Chicagoans.” This initiative will make information available regarding residents’ rights should they encounter federal immigration enforcement activities around schools, hospitals, homeless shelters, places of worship and other “sensitive locations.”
Designated city departments and agencies are tasked with identifying the threats from federal law and immigration enforcement and military deployment, and from budget cuts by the Trump administration.
Johnson said he is looking at any legal avenues available to prevent a takeover, including “courts if that’s necessary.”
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Cassandra Buchman
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://straightarrownews.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.