Bernie Sanders wants better press coverage of the Build Back Better bill? Ask and you shall receive, Sanders. Matt Welch, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie detail the most egregious parts of this giant pile of potential spending. Plus we talk about the Jones Act, all on this Monday’s Reason Roundtable.
Discussed in the show:
1:05: The Roundtable sets the record straight after the official White House Twitter account claimed the “Build Back Better Agenda is $0.”
33:07–: Weekly Listener Question: I am a Jones Act mariner. While I, and many other American merchant mariners, are pretty libertarian, the Jones Act is the third rail of the maritime industry and turns many mariners away from the libertarian
movement (Cato, Ronald Reagan, and John McCain are not popular among Jones Act Mariners). While I agree with many reforms, like removing the U.S. shipbuilding requirement for Jones Act (that is, domestic) trade, I do not agree with removing the cabotage rules for domestic trade. Airlines, trucking, and trains all enjoy cabotage protections for domestic trade, but it seems that the sights are always on the Jones Act unfairly and the American Merchant Marine. What say you?
39:03: William Shatner went to space!
44:20: Media recommendations for the week.
This week’s links:
- “Biden Says $3.5 Trillion Reconciliation Bill Has a Price Tag of ‘Zero.’ That’s Dubious,” by Eric Boehm
- “Biden to GOP: ‘Get Out of the Way, So You Don’t Destroy’ the Country,” by Matt Welch
- a concerning tweet from the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- “Heaton Fixes the Jones Act” (video)
- “Bret Easton Ellis on American Psycho, Hollywood Hypocrisy, and the Excesses of #MeToo” (video)
- “How Government Devastated Minor League Baseball,” by Matt Welch
Send your questions to [email protected]. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- Living in a digital age where your personal data are always under attack, your online privacy seems to be a thing of the past. Did you know there is a way to protect your information and privacy without worrying about Big Tech mining and stealing your private data? Introducing Sekur—an encrypted instant messaging and secure email service hosted in Switzerland, where the world’s strictest data privacy laws are applied. Take back your privacy and online security with Sekur, by going to Sekur.com.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
Audio production by Ian Keyser
Assistant production by Regan Taylor
Music: “Angeline,” by The Brothers Steve
Click this link for the original source of this article.
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://thinkcivics.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.