Caught on camera: Puerto Rican couple pulled from car and shot by mob of black men in Chicago

CHICAGO, IL – In what can only be described as horrifying, a Puerto Rican couple was dragged from their car and shot by three black men following Chicago’s 43rd Annual Puerto Rican People’s Day Parade. The shocking violence was caught on camera.

The man was killed and the woman critically wounded in the ambush Saturday night in Humboldt Park on the Northwest Side.

The shooting occurred as the couple was leaving the celebration in their vehicle, decorated with a large Puerto Rican flag, at about 9:15 p.m.

In videos posted to social media, the couple can be seen being dragged from their car by a group of what appeared to be three black men, while several others stood watching.

The woman lay on the pavement motionless as the man leaned over her, shielding her from a man aiming a pistol at them at close range.

As the man leaned over the woman, the gunman fired at least two shots, striking both the man and woman. The man collapsed motionless on top of the woman.

The gunman fled on foot, and other bystanders also fled either on foot or on motorcycles. No bystanders rushed to the aid of the couple. The wounded man eventually rolled off of the woman onto his back.  

The 24-year-old man was rushed to Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center by emergency responders where he was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds.

The 25-year-old woman was shot in the neck and rushed to Stroger Hospital, where she was listed in critical condition.

The man was identified by the Chicago Sun-Times as Gyovanny Arzuaga. The woman was identified as his girlfriend and the mother of his two children, Yasmin Perez.

The shooting remains under investigation by Chicago police. No arrests have been announced.

The incident may be under investigation as a hate crime, as Latino-black violence has been on the rise in Chicago since racial justice riots ignited over the summer last year.  Although Latino activists initially protested in support of black protesters, as riots spread into neighborhoods, Latino residents began condemning the violence.

The racial tensions grew as Latino businesses suffered looting and vandalism during the rioting, and Little Village residents stood guard in front of businesses and on street corners.

The conflict between the Latino and Black communities has been largely ignored by the mainstream media, despite some inside Chicago calling the situation a “race war.”

Black activist Xavier Ramey, CEO of Justice Informed, a social impact consulting firm, said the streets in some Latino areas are not safe for black people:

“It wasn’t safe for African Americans to walk through, to be present in public in areas like Pilsen and Little Village.”

Latino activist Berto Aguayo, director and co-founder of Increase the Peace, pointed to the rioting and looting to justify the guarding of properties by Latinos:

“Let’s not forget why this is happening.”

Saturday saw another deadly night in Chicago as at least 21 people were shot and three killed as violence continues to plague the city.

In addition to the man and woman killed in Humboldt Park, A 21-year-old man was shot and killed on the border of the Humboldt Park and West Town neighborhoods Sunday morning, according to police.

Police said the man was the driver of a Jeep in traffic in the 3100 block of West Augusta Boulevard at approximately 1:38 a.m. when an occupant in an unknown vehicle pulled alongside the victim’s and fired a shot.

 The victim was taken by another man to Stroger Hospital where he was pronounced dead from a gunshot wound to the head. There was no one in custody and the shooting is under investigation.

Between June 13 and June 19, 127 people were shot in Chicago, with 22 killed. In total, June saw 331 shot in the Windy City, with 55 killed.

Year to date, 1,777 people have been shot in Democratic Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s city, with 306 killed.

On average, a person is shot every 2 hours and 19 minutes in the city. A person is murdered every 12 hours and 45 minutes.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity
Again and again: Two more men charged with shooting people while free on bail for felony charges in Chicago

April 5, 2021

 

CHICAGO, IL – Two more men have been charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony arrests, adding to a growing list of similar cases under Cook County’s restrictive bail rules. Illinois voted earlier this year to end cash bail by 2023.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed a new law in February that not only institutes major police reforms but completely abolishes the state’s cash bail. The bill will go into effect in steps between July and 2023.

Democratic state Sen. Elgie Sims Jr., who sponsored the bill, said upon its passage:

“History will judge how we responded in this moment, which called for big, bold, transformative changes. This is not a moment for incrementalism, but one which calls for us to reimagine what public safety looks like in this great state.”

In Cook County, Chicago has been experiencing similar controversial bail restrictions for years under Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans. Evans ordered bail reform in the county in 2017.

Currently, under bail reform in Cook County, most defendants who pose no danger to the public are released from custody pending trial because monetary bail is a last resort, and any bail amounts are required to be set at an amount they can afford. 

According to CWB Chicago news station, two men just became the 13th and 14th persons charged with committing a shooting while on bail for other felonies this year.

On March 28, Joshua Castro, 19, shot a man in the ankle during a birthday celebration, according to Assistant State’s Attorney Brian Burkhardt. Castro’s girlfriend was attending a birthday party for the victim on a party bus and called Castro to pick her up.

When Castro arrived, the girlfriend was escorted to his car by the birthday celebrant and another man. Burkhardt said the men walked with her to make sure she arrived safely.

Castro became upset and told the men that he was armed with a gun. The argument continued until Castro pulled the gun from his sweatshirt and fired one round. The bullet struck the ankle of the birthday celebrant.  The bullet passed through the victim’s ankle, and then struck another bystander.

Castro fled the scene but was arrested the following day.

Burkhardt said prosecutors decided against filing attempted murder charges and filed one count of aggravated battery by discharging a firearm.

At the time of the shooting, Castro was free on recognizance bond for a burglary case awaiting trial since January 21. Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Castro held without bail pending further court action.

On March 17, 22-year-old Cartez McGary was on bail when he shot a man during an armed robbery at a gas station. Authorities said surveillance video showed McGary lying in wait for his victim.

Prosecutors said the video showed McGary entering the store and observing the victim before exiting and moving his vehicle to the other side of the building. McGary covered his face with a COVID mask and put something in his waistband.

McGary waited outside the station until the victim left the store and got into his van. McGary then walked up to the man and pointed a gun in the victim’s face, demanding “everything he had,” prosecutors said.

McGary then fired one round at the victim’s head. The victim was able to lean back, causing the bullet to just graze his eyebrow. Surviving the near tragedy, the victim fought back. He grabbed McGary’s gun, and the men struggled. During the fight, McGary’s hoodie and mask came loose, allowing surveillance video to capture his appearance.

The victim was able to disarm McGary. McGary dropped his cell phone before running to his car and fleeing the scene.

Police were able to locate McGary through his cell phone, his vehicle’s license plate number, and his appearance captured on video. He was charged with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, armed robbery by discharging a firearm, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and motor vehicle violations.

At the time of the robbery, McGary was on bond for felony fleeing and eluding. He was released after posting a $500 deposit.

In the current case, Judge Arthur Willis ordered McGary held without bail.

CWB Chicago news station has been reporting regularly on shootings committed by people released under the controversial new bail reform law. 

_

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First

The post Caught on camera: Puerto Rican couple pulled from car and shot by mob of black men in Chicago appeared first on Law Enforcement Today.

Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Scott A. Davis


This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

USSANews.com
A better search engine: DuckDuckGo.com.
Visit our Discussion Forum at Libertati.com.

Follow us:
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com