LOS ANGELES – A black man was arrested in Los Angeles last week after he allegedly used a life-like face mask with fake hair to disguise himself as a white male while committing a string of burglaries in the Los Angeles area, according to authorities.
I bet you are hearing about this for the first time. Now imagine the media coverage if a white burglar had worn a black face mask to conceal his identity! https://t.co/EGjZ0C2ZeW
— Dinesh D’Souza (@DineshDSouza) May 10, 2021
Rockim Prowell, 33, a resident of Inglewood, has been linked to nearly 30 home burglaries in the region and has been charged by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office with two counts each of burglary, grand theft and one count of vandalism, according to the Beverly Hills Police Department.
Prowell was arrested May 2 during a traffic stop by Beverly Hills police officers. In the car, officers found a face mask and other items that connected him to the burglaries, authorities said.
I have to say I’m impressed https://t.co/AXJrSWIuM5
— Hayden (@methlaabs) May 10, 2021
Additionally, the license plates on the car were allegedly stolen.
Police searched his home and found items connecting him to a string of burglaries.
Authorities connected Prowell with at least two burglaries in Beverly Hills. One was on April 20 in the 1900 block of Loma Vista Drive. Investigation into that burglary led investigators to link the suspect to another burglary that occurred on June 20 in the 100 block of Stanley Drive. During both crimes, the suspect stole flat-screen televisions.
— Gerald 🎧 (@sedna90377) May 11, 2021
Investigators linked his vehicle to the crimes through surveillance video, police said. In images released by authorities, the suspect is seen wearing a realistic latex mask of a white person with a wig and wearing glasses.
Beverly Hills investigators are working with Los Angeles Police Department authorities in Newport Beach, an affluent coastal city in Orange County, to determine if he is linked to home burglaries in those cities.
Rockim Prowell, 30, of Inglewood, is believed to be responsible for numerous residential burglaries throughout Southern California, according to Beverly Hills police https://t.co/hxqpXgMAa2
— KTLA (@KTLA) May 7, 2021
Prior to his arrest, the Los Angeles Police Department posted a now-deleted tweet asking if anyone had surveillance video of the man, who appeared to be white. They included stills from footage of two separate incidents. In both, he was wearing a white mask.
Bev. Hills PD Arrests Black Man in White Mask Connected to Multiple Robberies Across L.A. https://t.co/hVltENQC2q
— James Cooper (@stratosphere53) May 10, 2021
Investigators trying to identify the suspect on surveillance video had wondered why his mouth was always open in images during burglaries. LAPD Pacific Division wrote on a now-deleted Twitter post:
“It was odd this burglar’s mouth was always open when seen on video surveillance. When he was caught breaking into another home we discovered why.”
Police stopped the suspect, identified as Rockim Prowell, 30, of Inglewood, on Sunday and found items, including a face mask, in the vehicle he was driving that linked him to a string of burglaries, according to the @BeverlyHillsPD. https://t.co/5lE6xeMLN8
— Monrovia Weekly (@monroviaweekly) May 8, 2021
The LAPD Pacific Division said Prowell was connected to seven burglaries in its area. Prowell has been released on bond and is scheduled to appear in court on May 25, according to jail records.
Anyone with information is being asked to call BHPD at 310-285-2125.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Murder suspect recaptured after being mistakenly released from downtown Los Angeles jail
April 1, 2021
LOS ANGELES, CA– As Law Enforcement Today has reported, it is becoming increasingly more common that individuals suspected or accused of major crimes, such as murder, are accidently being released from police custody.
It happened twice in New York in March, and now it has occurred in California.
However, after a weeks-long manhunt, the murder suspect that was mistakenly set free from a downtown Los Angeles jail has been recaptured, according to authorities.
On Monday, March 29th, 24-year-old Steven Manzo was seen getting into a grey Nissan Sentra with several other people inside, in the city of Buena Park in Orange County, California.
According to a statement released from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, investigators followed the vehicle to the nearby city of Cypress.
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) March 30, 2021
Authorities were able to successfully take Manzo into custody again after conducting a traffic stop at Lincoln Avenue and Watson Street around 1:25 p.m., according to Cypress police. Authorities released video of the moment he was recaptured.
Manzo is now in the custody of Long Beach police, and is being held on more than $4 million bail.
ABC7 reported that Manzo is one of three men charged with fatally shooting another man in Long Beach in 2018. Manzo was arrested a year ago and had been incarcerated since then. He was inadvertently released from custody before the trial even started.
On March 9th, after the prosecutor became aware that Manzo was accidently released from police custody, they notifies authorities, according to District Attorney Ricardo Santiago.
While a murder suspect was released, of course, no one wanted to accept the blame for it.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department was one of the ones passing the buck, saying in a statement that they:
“did NOT erroneously release a murder suspect yesterday from our custody.”
According to the statement:
“LASD received an ‘Order For Release’ from the court, indicating the case was dismissed. As such, the department complied with the court order and processed the individual for release,”
The statement went on to say:
“Should you have any further questions about this incident or the circumstances surrounding it, please contact Long Beach Police Department or the District Attorney’s Office.”
A murder suspect mistakenly set free from custody in downtown Los Angeles has been recaptured after a weeks-long manhunt, according to authorities. The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department confirmed on … https://t.co/X0Bf5lu5g3
— LAPD Authors (@Angel_City_Buzz) March 30, 2021
ABC7 reported that on March 8th, the case against Manzo was dismissed, and the same five charges were immediately refiled under a different case number after Manzo was not transported from jail to court, where a hearing had been set to determine whether there was enough evidence to allow the case against him to proceed to trial, according to Ricardo Santiago of the District Attorney’s Office.
An arraignment was assigned to Manzo for March 23rd, and he must remain in custody until that time.
Long Beach police is the lead agency in the case.
Authorities reported that the fugitive task force investigators from the Sheriff’s Department, Long Beach Police Department and U.S. Marshals Service searched for Manzo.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Scott A. Davis
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.