One of the people who Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) says is behind an alleged multi-million dollar extortion scheme tied to an underage girl Gaetz is accused of having sex with, said he did ask Gaetz’s father, Don, for money, but it was not extortion.
How we got here: The New York Times recently reported that the Justice Department was investigating whether Gaetz and another associate had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl and whether Gaetz “paid for her to travel with him.”
Gaetz denied the allegation of sexual intercourse with a minor as “totally false” but confirmed the ongoing DOJ inquiry, saying he was “not a target but a subject of an investigation regarding sexual conduct with women.”
Gaetz said the allegations of sexual misconduct are pushed by the same people who are behind a $25 million extortion scheme, according to the Washington Examiner. These are former federal prosecutor David McGee, and former Air Force intelligence officer Bob Kent, who allegedly approached Don and Matt Gaetz and asked for a $25 million loan to fund a rescue operation to save former FBI agent Robert Levinson, who disappeared in Iran in 2007 and is still missing and presumed dead.
McGee is the Levinson family attorney, while Kent had previously attempted to organize a rescue operation to save Levinson, but was reportedly prevented by the government.
Gaetz said last week that the FBI was looking into the possible extortion scheme and had asked his father to wear a wire “to catch these criminals.”
Meanwhile, Kent admitted to asking for $25 million, but insisted the money was for a rescue operation to save Levinson. However, he admitted he tried to leverage the fact that Gaetz was under federal investigation in order to obtain the money.
“Matt Gaetz is in need of good publicity, and I’m in need of $25 million to rescue Robert Levinson,” Kent said on SiriusXM’s The Michael Smerconish Program on Monday.
According to Fox News, Kent said he has seen videos that have raised his hopes Levinson may be alive. He said the clips were also reviewed by video analysts.
Of his meeting with Don when he asked for the money, Kent said, “At first he started laughing and he said, ‘You know we get these extortion attempts all the time.’ And I said whoa, stop. This is not an extortion attempt. I’m not trying to extort him, I’m not, you know, that’s not what we’re doing here.”
Kent claimed he showed Don a video that apparently proved Levinson was alive.
“I never threatened the man — matter of fact, it was the opposite: I told him if he decides not to help us, he’ll never hear from me again,” Kent claimed. “I said if you want to help us, keep everything legal and above-board, it’ll have to go through the law firm,” he added, referring McGee, with whom he had been working.
NEWS UNSPUN: If you’ve stopped trusting the mainstream media … welcome to LaCorte News. Join us to fight back against dishonest news coverage and social media censorship!
(Photo: Gage Skidmore)
The post Gaetz’s Alleged Extorter Confirms He Asked For $25M But Says It Wasn’t Extortion appeared first on LaCorte News.
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Damjan Tutarkov
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.lacortenews.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.