Instead of creating more useless gun laws that do nothing to prevent violence, the Federal Government has launched “Project Guardian,” a program designed to enforce existing gun laws and create a coordinated effort to stop gun violence. AG Barr announced the measure on November 13.
The purpose of the program is said to be the “nationwide strategic plan to reduce the criminal misuse of firearms and to enforce existing federal firearms laws.” And do it while respecting the rights of lawful gun owners. You can read the Attorney General’s program here.
The Guardian Program is based on five principles, according to NSSF Senior Vice President Larry Keane in the Daily Caller:
- Coordinated prosecution: “Federal prosecutors and law enforcement will coordinate with state, local, and tribal law enforcement and prosecutors to consider potential federal prosecution for new cases involving a defendant who: (a) was arrested in possession of a firearm; (b) is believed to have used a firearm in committing a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime prosecutable in federal court; or (c) is suspected of actively committing violent crime(s) in the community on behalf of a criminal organization.”
- Enforcement of federal firearms laws and background checks: “For all cases involving false statements on ATF Form 4473 (including lie-and-try, lie-and-buy, and straw purchasers), unlicensed firearms dealers, and other individuals involved in the illegal trafficking of firearms, the rules must place particular emphasis on: (a) violent persons, such as individuals convicted of violent felonies or misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, individuals subject to protective orders, and individuals who are fugitives where the underlying offense is a felony or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; (b) individuals suspected of involvement in criminal organizations or of providing firearms to criminal organizations; and ( c) individuals involved in repeat denials.”
- Improved information sharing: “… on a regular basis, and as often as practicable given current technical limitations, ATF will provide to state law enforcement fusion centers a report listing individuals for whom NICS has issued denials, including the basis for the denial, so that our state and local law enforcement partners can take appropriate steps under their laws.”
- Coordinated response to mental health denials: “United States Attorneys should consult with relevant district stakeholders, including ATF and state or local law enforcement and mental health departments, to assess the feasibility of adopting disruption and early engagement programs to address mental-health-prohibited individuals who, attempt to acquire a firearm and to counter the threat of mass shootings.”
- Crime gun intelligence coordination: “Federal, state, local, and tribal prosecutors and law enforcement will work together to ensure effective use of ATF CGICs, and all related resources, to maximize the use of modern intelligence tools and technology, such as the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN) and Firearm Tracing, to investigate and prevent gun crime.”
It’s a plan, and if they can pull it off without infringing on more of our 2nd amendment rights, it will be great.I’d encourage you to look at the 2018 FBI Uniform Crime reports, and note that in spite of the left’s vilification of AR rifles, most homicides are committed with handguns and other assorted weapons.
It is uncertain how this new program will play out. Will it work? The NSSF – National Shooting and Sports Foundation – believes it’s a great idea for “real solutions” instead of just dropping more laws into an already crowded legal system.
Of course, like Reagan used to say, “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”
Featured photo: Justice Department
Visit the USSA News store!
Click this link for the original source of this article.
Author: Faye Higbee
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact the USSANews.com administrator by using the contact form located in the top-left menu. Your request will be immediately honored. Please visit https://unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com for more terrific, conservative content. The owner of this website may be paid to recommend American Bullion. The content of this website, including the positive review of American Bullion, the negative review of its competitors, and any other information may not be independent or neutral.